Time to Let Go of Your Car Keys
For your senior adults who have been driving all their lives, they might reject the idea of not being able to do so anymore. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, aging will affect your driving abilities. You have to pay attention to any warning signs showing that age is interfering with your driving safety. Giving up driving and your keys doesn’t mean that you’re giving up your independence, it just means that you’re valuing your safety above anything else.
Caring Nurses Services, our home care agency in Bel Air MD offers companionship services, which include accompanying senior adults to appointments or when running errands. There are many other ways or options to get around town without having to get behind the wheel. Such options include;
- Public transportation which offer senior discounts and have fixed schedules.
- Community or senior shuttle services.
- Taxis or private drivers offered by driving services.
- App-enabled services such as Uber or Lyft for door-to-door transportation.
- Asking family, friends or neighbors for a ride and offering to return the favor.
- Walking when you are able is a good way to get around while getting some exercise in the process. Regular physical activity is beneficial to the elderly in helping to lower risks for conditions such as Alzheimer’s and dementia, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.
Caring Nurses home care agency in Bel Air MD offers senior adults options to move around and still feel independent without them having to risk their safety or health. It’s normal to feel frustrated or irritable when you are deprived of doing something they’re used to doing. However, it takes a lot of courage to stop driving and put the safety of yourself and others first. You might not be able to see it immediately, but choosing to let go of your car keys can have a lot of benefits.
- Save money from gas, car maintenance, registration and car insurance.
- A change of pace may be good for your health.
- Expand your social circle by walking around or accepting rides from friends, family or neighbors.
- Improve your health by walking instead of riding. Studies have shown and proved that regular exercise such as walking or jogging can help seniors sleep better, manage symptoms of illness or pain, boost their energy, stimulate their mood and memory and improve confidence.
If your loved ones start showing concern about your constant persuasion to drive, you should start listening to them. Stubbornness won’t do any good. The more options you have to not drive, the easier it will be for you to let go of the habit. The important thing is that you still have the means to make it to important meetings and events, doctor’s checkups and appointments and running errands. With companionship services from Caring Nurses home care agency in Bel Air MD, you won’t have to worry about missing important appointments or running errands when your supplies run low. We have high regard for your independence and we are willing to assist and support our patients and clients for the betterment of their health and well-being.